IV. ATTAINING THE FIAOMC: PROTOCOL & POLICIES:
Click here for the PDF version of the FIAOMC Protocol
2 Step Process
- Submit an application to your section fellowship chair.
- Must provide proof of fitting 50 cases. A minimum of 40 must be orthoK-overnight or day wear but the remainder may be interesting myopia control cases.
- Must have been an IOAMC member for the last 2 continuous years
- Must have attended one IAOMC section meeting within last 3 years
- Must have attended OrthoK Bootcamp
- If candidate can document having fit 100 orthoK cases, boot camp requirement is waived.
- Must own and use a topographer
- If candidates employs trial or empirical fitting, must be able to perform orthoK with a minimum of 2 different orthoK companies
- If candidate employs software that is fully modifiable, then only one company is necessary.
- Submit 2 case reports that are of sufficient complexity and professional preparation to be judged as “passed”
- Provide a one page document detailing why they wish to pursue an FIAOMC and what they plan to do for the Academy after attaining one.
- If the candidate is a member of the IAOMC-Asia, they must hold the rank of SIAOA (senior member of the IAOAMC-Asia) before they may apply to take the FIAOMC test.
Any combination of 30 points from the following categories (must be related to orthoK or myopia control)
Definitions: All of these categories must be related to orthoK, myopia management or scleral lenses
Peer reviewed scientific publication.
First or second author. Peer Reviewed journal approved by panel. Published within last 8 years
Other publication: Published non research paper discussing unique topic relevant to orthoK or myopia control
Poster: Case report, small study or unique topic. Displayed at panel-approved conference within last 5 years
Presentation –cannot have financial interest in topic. Sole presenter – minimum 1 hour. Presented within last 5 years
Postgraduate degree-Ph.D., Postgraduate Master’s degree, Fellowship or Residency: Field should be related to orthoK or myopia control. Accredited university
Primary Investigator or CoPI in a clinical trial: If ongoing trial, must have been started at least 3 month prior
Completion not longer than 5 years ago
Rank of Professor/Assistant Professor: Accredited university. Active appointment
Other: Other activities may be considered. Submit proposal to oral committee
Videos will be provided to assist in preparation and explanation
• Written Test Study Guide
• Case Preparation
• The Final Exam
Candidate will be provided with video study guide
Written test may be waived if candidate has 30 points of alternate elective prerequisites
Cases (deadlines must be observed)
Must use standardized FIAO template for preparation (unless exception granted).
Cases must include topographic maps AND NaFl photos or videos
Case #1 – practice
• Submit abstract of case #1 to SFC for approval
• When approved, submit case #1 to SFC for extensive feedback.
• May be requested to submit different case or make changes to presentation.
• When case #1 is accepted, submit abstracts 2 and 3
Cases 2 and 3 – for Oral Panel Exam
• Abstracts must be accepted prior to case preparation
• Submit cases to panel. Panel will judge if the cases are of sufficient complexity, prepared in a professional and complete manner and demonstrate fellowship quality performance.
• If cases are passed they will be part of the oral panel exam questions and candidate proceeds to the oral exam.
• If they do not pass, you may provide alternate cases if time permits. If not, candidate must wait until the next testing opportunity.
Cases must be submitted that are interesting and of sufficient complexity to demonstrate fellowship-quality fitting skills.
Cases must include overnight or daytime orthok. one case must show a myopia control design and treatment protocol. But must also be interesting, complex and detailed.
The panel will determine if the cases qualify and request alternate cases if they are not of sufficient complexity or prepared poorly.
Here is a suggested list of categories for complex cases and interesting cases. Cases must showcase superior skills:
Toric design with high cyl or limbal to limbal
Serious problems of glare
Resistant or failed Tx despite modifications
Poor myopia control
Significant over or under correction
High Rx or low eccentricity
Decentration affecting vision
Refit from another practitioner
Unique myopia control protocol
Here is a suggested list of categories for complex cases and interesting cases:
Note: candidate may choose to take the written exam but postpone case preparation and the oral exam until the following year.
Candidate must pass with minimum score of 85% curve adjusted then they progress to the Oral Panel Exam
If score is less than 85% (curve adjusted) - must repeat test when offered again
Allowed one retest at no charge
If candidate fails a second time, must submit a new application and pay full fee again.
ORAL PANEL EXAM (OPE)
Panel will consist of two to three FIAOs
Held just after written testing- if time permits
Will consist of:
questions regarding cases 2 and 3
Viewing maps, NAFL patterns and answering questions
Design question regarding myopia control
a discussion designed to test comprehensive knowledge of applicant
Passing minimum score is 85%
Score is less than 85% --
Oral panel exam must be repeated at next testing opportunity.
May only retake OPE once. If candidate fails for a second time, they must submit a new application and pay full testing fees.
May be given a “provisional” pass and required to submit an additional case to demonstrate knowledge.
allowed one retest at no charge
if candidate fails a second time, must submit a new application and pay full fee again.
Oral Panel Exam(OPE):
All testing must be completed within 2 years from the date of the initial written exam.
If it is later than that date, the candidate must reapply and pay the new fee.
Each section is responsible for determining the FIAO testing fee.
15% of the application fee must go to the IAO.
The fee is paid directly to the section by whatever means they set up.
Test taken “out of section
If a candidate chooses to take the test (oral and written) out of section, the entire fee goes to the other section.
The out-of-section chair is responsible for accepting and reviewing the application. In-section applications are given priority.
3. Retaking any portion of the exam:
there is no fee to retake the written or oral exam ONCE.
If the candidates fails for a second time, they must reapply and pay full fees.
Click HERE for videos explaining the above.